Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Or, if you see a My Documents icon on your desktop, just open that icon.
Figure 2-33: Various places from which you can open your My Documents folder
Tip To add a My Documents icon to your desktop, right-click the desktop and choose
Properties. Click the Desktop tab, and then click on the Customize Desktop button.
Under Desktop Icons, choose My Documents. Then click each open dialog box’s
OK button.
Windows Explorer opens and displays the contents of your My Documents folder. That folder might
contain still more folders, such as My Music and My Pictures. And it might contain some documents,
such as the Things to Do document in Figure 2-34.
Figure 2-34: Contents of a sample My Documents folder
Keep in mind that the My Documents folder is yours, and yours alone. Other people who use this same
computer and who log on with their own user names will have their own My Documents folders. Any
files that users of this computer can share will be in the Shared Documents folder.


Introducing Shared Documents
As the name implies, the Shared Documents folder contains files and folders that all users of this
computer can access. You can open Shared Documents by choosing that option under Other Places in
the Explorer bar. You also can find its icon in My Computer. As always, you’ll see the folders and files
contained within the Shared Documents folder. And you can open anything in that file or folder by
clicking or double-clicking it.